Possible symptoms of hypothyroidism could be
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Constipation or low bowel movement
- Weight gain without eating more
- Irregular periods
- Low libido
- Fertility issues
- Swollen eyelids
- Hair loss
- Brittle hair and nails
- Dry, itchy skin
- Water retention
Chinese medicine and naturopathy offer effective solutions. All the listed symptoms are possible with hypothyroidism and according to Chinese medicine, belong to
A kidney and spleen yang deficiency
The best foods for easing symptoms of hypothyroidism
- Legumes (if you can digest it well): black and green beans, adzuki beans, lentils;
- Seaweeds: kelp, nori, kombu and wakame;
- Grains: wild rice, brown rice, oats, spelt;
- Fruits: dates, cherries, coconut, figs, mulberry,
- Meat: non-hormonally treated meats esp. animal kidneys, bone broth;
- Shellfish and fish: oysters, clams, lobster, crayfish, calamari, salmon;
- Nuts and seeds: walnuts, black sesame seeds, chestnuts;
- Vegetables: parsnip, carrot, beetroot, corn, leek, chives, scallions, cabbage, winter squash, pumpkin, shitake, mushrooms;
- Herbs and spices: parsley, anise, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, basil, rosemary, dill, caraway, cumin;
- Others: yams, ginger root, turmeric, wheat germ, wheatgrass, coconut oil, sprouted seeds;
Millet is often advised not to eat as it contains contain goitrogens which could interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Many people suffering from hypothyroidism find relief in their symptoms when eating a
Implementing the right diet will help you feel better and prevent
The most powerful herbs for treating hypothyroidism
- Echinacea – Improves the immune system function.
- Ashwagandha – Helps to balance hormones, to boost endurance and to respond better to stress. It is said to help combat inflammation and to improve your immunity.
Licorice– Mayhelp to lower levels of cortisol and to increase energy.
- Motherwort –
Canhelp to reduce heart palpitations, hot flashes, anxiety and hypersensitivity of the skin.
Besides eating the right foods and taking powerful herbs for the thyroid, the cooking method and some general lifestyle adaptions can be made for improving your condition.
advices for hypothyroidism:
- Eat a cooked breakfast like
- Eat a cooked lunch and if possible dinner as well.
- Stews, soups and dishes from the baking oven should be eaten often.
- Reduce cold drinks, sugar and cow milk products.
- Don´t consume ice-cold drinks and ice-cream.
- Reduce raw foods esp. tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, watermelon and tropical fruits as they produce a lot of
- Don’t drink juice fruits.
- Reduce coffee and alcohol.
- Do without convenience foods.
- Take warm baths and make sure your feet are always warm.
- Exercise moderately.
- Check your iodine levels regularly.
- Verify that your body has enough zinc, selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin A and iron.
If you take levothyroxine medication, make sure to leave 4-6 hours between the intake and vitamin products that contain ferrous sulphate (iron) and calcium carbonate. The reason for that is it may interfere with the absorption of the medication. The same applies
Healing exclusively with nutrition and herbs is not possible when suffering from a severe under
Also read this highly relevant article that talks about the numerous benefits of turmeric and how it can support a healthy thyroid gland. Read here.
How would it feel to free yourself from your symptoms? Ready to change and invest time and energy to get to the root of your problem? Then book your session now. I am looking forward to meeting you.